What happened: Naomi Biden, the legitimate daughter of Hunter Biden and granddaughter of President Joe Biden, was (sort of) involved in a thwarted carjacking attempt on Sunday in Washington, D.C.
• U.S. Secret Service agents accompanying Biden's granddaughter opened fire after several criminals tried to break into an unoccupied government vehicle. The incident took place shortly before midnight in the preppy Georgetown neighborhood. The suspects fled the scene in a different vehicle.
• "It is believed no one was struck," the Secret Service said in a statement, adding there was "no threat to any protectees."
What happened next: The national mainstream media pounced, finally noticing the crime wave wreaking havoc on the vast majority of D.C. residents who aren't related to the president of the United States and don't have Secret Service protection.
Crucial context: There have been 863 carjacking incidents in Washington, D.C., this year. That's a 106 percent increase compared with last year and a 600 percent increase compared with 2019. Nearly three in four carjacking incidents in 2023 involved a firearm, and the majority of individuals arrested were juveniles.
• A 13-year-old was fatally shot in D.C. last month while attempting to carjack an off-duty federal officer. The suspect had been arrested in May and released by a judge after being charged with nine counts of carjacking, robbery, and assault.
• D.C. police published a list of tips for driving in America's capital that reads like it was intended for diplomats traveling in war zones. For example: "When you are coming to a stop, leave enough room to maneuver around other cars, especially if you sense trouble and need to get away."
• Even the Washington Post editorial board has realized the situation is out of control. Last month, the paper published an editorial urging the D.C. Council to reverse a new "justice-oriented" policy that effectively bans police from chasing carjacking suspects. (Yes, seriously.)
Bottom line: Unless you have a Secret Service detail, it's not safe to live in a city run by Democrats.