ADVERTISEMENT

Clinton: ‘I Am Sure’ There Are No More Damaging Emails About Foundation

• August 26, 2016 10:34 am

SHARE

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton said Friday on Morning Joe that she is sure that there are no more unpublished emails that could be damaging to her and her campaign.

Morning Joe host Mika Brzezinski asked Clinton about emails showing more cross-involvement between the Clinton Foundation and the State Department. Clinton Foundation donors made up a majority of the non-government individuals who met with Clinton while she was secretary of state.

"I think it's really fair to take a look at the work that the Clinton Foundation has done and take the time to hear about it, which is what we've been doing," Brzezinski said. "There is so much more you can do as president, obviously, and so I guess the question would be, are you certain that there are no emails or Foundation ties to foreign entities that will be revealed that could perhaps permanently impact your presidential prospects?"

"Mika, I am sure, and I am sure because I have a very strong foundation of understanding about the Foundation, not to have a play on words, that the kind of work that the Foundation has done, which attracted donors from around the world, is work that went right into providing services to people," Clinton said. "As we have said before, neither my husband, my daughter nor I have ever taken a penny of salary from the Foundation. My work as secretary of state was not influenced by any outside sources.

"I made policy decisions based on what I thought was right to keep Americans safe and to protect our interests abroad. I believe my aides also acted appropriately and we have gone above and beyond most of the charities that I understand, beyond the legal requirements, beyond standards to voluntarily disclose donors and also to reduce sources of funding that raised any questions, not that we thought they were necessarily legitimate, but to avoid those questions."

However, groups such as WikiLeaks have said that they will release more emails in the future and the State Department has been ordered to turn over 15,000 of Clinton's emails that weren't previously disclosed starting in September.