David Hogg to Take Year Off Before College to Work on Midterm Elections

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student David Hogg addresses March for Our Lives rally, March 24, 2018 in Washington, D.C. / Getty

David Hogg, a 17-year-old high school senior who survived February's mass shooting in Parkland, Florida, is postponing his first year of college to work on the midterm elections.

Hogg, a student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, told TMZ last month that four University of California campuses, including UC Irvine, had rejected his application. TMZ reported on Monday, however, that he received an acceptance letter from UC Irvine last week.

Hogg's mother, Rebecca Boldrick, told CNN about the acceptance letter, but said that "he will not be going to college this year because he's decided to take a year off and work on the midterm elections."

Boldrick added that her son, who has become one of the most vocal student gun-control activists in the wake of the Parkland shooting, hopes to "get people to vote" by registering and educating new voters. Hogg spoke at the March for Our Lives rally in Washington, D.C. last month calling for stricter gun-control measures.

Hogg's college aspirations got national attention last month when he targeted Fox News host Laura Ingraham's advertisers after she tweeted out an article about four different campuses in the University of California school system—UC Los Angeles, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Irvine—turning down his application.

The boycott, which was pushed by Media Matters for America and other left-leaning groups, led at least 15 companies to drop their ads from her show in the last week.

While Ingraham apologized on Twitter a day after her initial tweet, Hogg did not accept the apology. Instead, he continued to call on his Twitter followers to put pressure on Ingraham's advertisers by sharing a Media Matters article with a list of all of the companies.