What happened: Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D., Texas) committed disturbing acts of verbal violence against a vulnerable staff member, according to a leaked audio recording published by Current Revolt.
• Jackson Lee is running for mayor of Houston, and boasts high-profile endorsements from failed politician Hillary Clinton and former speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi.
• The mayoral election, which takes place on Nov. 7, is likely headed to a runoff between Jackson Lee and state senator John Whitmore.
What she said: The leaked audio allegedly captures Jackson Lee, who has a long history of abusing her employees, berating a staffer who is unable to recall the details of an event on her schedule, and who begins to call another staff member at the office before the congresswoman angrily cuts him off.
• "I don't want you to do a goddamn thing. I want you to have a f—ing brain!" Jackson Lee fumes. "Nobody knows a goddamn thing in my office."
• Jackson Lee proceeds to berate the other staffer as well. "So when I called Jerome, he gonna be sitting up there like a fat ass stupid idiot talking about what the f— he doesn't know," the congresswoman continues. "Both of y'all are f—ups, I f—ing [incomprehensible]! It's the worst s—t that I could have ever had put together. Two goddamn big ass children. F—ing idiots, serve no goddamn purpose."
Be smart: This is literally violence. Not surprisingly, Jackson Lee has one of the highest staff turnover rates in Congress.
Crucial context: In addition to earning a reputation as the worst boss on Capitol Hill, Jackson Lee's other accomplishments include complaining that hurricane names are not racially "inclusive," and voting not to certify Ohio's electoral votes following the 2004 presidential election won by George W. Bush.
Why it matters: Jackson Lee is just the latest Democratic politician to be exposed for abusing staff.
• Rep. Katie Porter (D., Calif.), who is currently running for the U.S. Senate, has been accused by multiple former staffers of creating a toxic work environment. One former employee described her as "wildly unfit" to be a senator.
• Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D., Minn.) reportedly made her staffers cry with abusive rants, and once pelted an aide with a binder during an argument.
• Vice President Kamala Harris has been accused of being a "toxic" and "reactionary" boss whose staffers were "so stressed out that they were making themselves sick." That's probably why so many of them are terrified at the thought of Harris becoming president.
Bottom line: Houston deserves better than Sheila Jackson Lee.