Donald Trump never donated money to 9/11 charities that supported victims’ families and first responders in the months after the devastating terrorist attacks despite promising to do so, according to a review by the New York City Comptroller.
Weeks after the attacks, Trump promised $10,000 to the Twin Towers Fund as part of a charity effort pushed by Howard Stern.
City Comptroller Scott Stringer’s review of previously sealed records of the two main charities created to assist those affected by the attacks found that Trump and his charity, the Donald J. Trump Foundation, did not donate a single cent in the 12 months after the attacks, the New York Daily News reported Thursday evening.
Stringer said in a statement that his office’s audits of the first filing period after the attacks did not turn up any record of Trump or his charity donating to the Twin Towers Fund or the New York City Public/Private Initiatives Inc. Stringer conducted the review in response to a Freedom of Information Act request.
"In the wake of 9/11, New Yorkers came together, healed, and rebuilt. If Donald Trump claimed to donate and didn’t, if he claimed to support New Yorkers in a time of crisis and refused, then that would be just plain wrong," Stringer told ABC News.
Trump may have donated after the audits by Stringer’s office. His campaign has not yet commented.
Stringer’s office manually reviewed some 1,500 pages of donor records. The audit of the Twin Towers Fund looked at the period from September 12, 2001 to August 31, 2002. The audit of the Public/Private Initiatives Inc. covered the period from September 12, 2001 to June 30, 2002.