What happened: President Joe Biden issued an executive order last week reiterating his administration's efforts to "continuously embed equity into all aspects of Federal decision-making." Among other things, the order commanded federal bureaucrats to ensure that artificial intelligence (AI) systems are programmed to comply with his woke agenda.
"When designing, developing, acquiring, and using artificial intelligence and automated systems in the Federal Government, agencies shall do so, consistent with applicable law, in a manner that advances equity," Biden's order states. It also instructs federal agencies to "ensure that their respective civil rights offices are consulted" on any decisions regarding the use of artificial intelligence in order to "root out bias" and combat "algorithmic discrimination."
Why it matters: Recognizing the enormous role that AI-driven technology may soon play in our lives, Democratic politicians and their allies in Silicon Valley are determined to program their ideological preferences into these machines. ChatGPT, the groundbreaking AI-powered chatbot launched in November 2022, has faced accusations of liberal bias. For example:
• The bot refuses to write an argument in favor of fossil fuels because it "goes against the principle of promoting sustainability."
• It will write a poem "admiring" Biden but won't do the same for former president Donald Trump because it would be "inappropriate" to "generate content that promotes or glorifies any individual."
• It will write a story about Biden beating Trump in a debate but won't write a story about Trump beating Biden in a debate.
• It will write a story about Trump being "corrupt" but won't do the same about Biden because it would "not be appropriate or accurate."
• It will write a fictional story about Hillary Clinton winning the 2016 election but won't write a story about Trump beating Biden in 2020 because "it would not be appropriate" to "generate a narrative based on false information."
Bottom line: Build a bunker, learn survival skills.