The number of U.S. government personnel targeted by a mysterious illness in Cuba last year is greater than the Trump administration has publicly acknowledged, according to multiple U.S. officials who told the Washington Free Beacon the Obama administration may have misled Congress about the full scope and nature of the attack.
Key House and Senate Committees, as well as individual lawmakers, want to know why they were caught flat-footed by media reports of incidents in Cuba late last year that left a group of U.S. diplomats ill and reportedly suffering from hearing loss attributed to covert sonic devices.
Some United States government personnel on official duty in Havana, Cuba have reported feeling a variety of “physical symptoms” following “incidents,” according to a State Department spokesperson.
Executives for the nonprofit advocacy group Engage Cuba, one of whom has taken credit for leading an “under-the-radar” $3 million national campaign to convince the Obama administration “to reform” U.S.-Cuba relations, are listed as registered agents of a for-profit travel service that shares the initials of the non-profit firm.
President Donald Trump on Friday will announce a revised U.S. Cuba policy that eliminates travel for single individuals and bans future U.S. business transactions with Cuba’s military, according to senior administration officials.
Marriott International is the company with the most to lose if President Trump cracks down on the ability of U.S. businesses to work with the Cuban government’s military.
The venue for a major Cuba policy speech President Trump is expected to make in Miami this Friday will send a powerful message to the Castro regime, sources said.
The Obama administration will scrap the decades-old “wet foot, dry foot” policy that allows Cuban migrants who arrive in the U.S. without a visa to become legal residents.