Retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson informed supporters Wednesday that he does not see a “path forward” for his Republican presidential campaign following the results on Super Tuesday.
The Washington Post reported that, while Carson will not formally suspend his campaign Wednesday, the move signifies that his candidacy is over following disappointing results in 11 states that held GOP primaries and caucuses on Tuesday.
Carson will not attend the Fox News GOP presidential debate Thursday evening in Detroit, the statement released Wednesday said. Carson noted that he will “discuss more” about his political future during his speech Friday at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Washington, D.C.
“I do not see a political path forward in light of last evening’s Super Tuesday primary results,” Carson said. “However, this grassroots movement on behalf of ‘We the People’ will continue.”
“I appreciate the support, financial and otherwise, from all corners of America,” Carson continued. “Gratefully, my campaign decisions are not constrained by finances; rather by what is in the best interests of the American people.”
Carson, who briefly led GOP frontrunner Donald Trump nationally last year before plummeting in the polls, is one of several Republican candidates who have signaled an end to their campaigns since the Iowa caucuses took place at the beginning of February.