The White House Correspondents' Association (WHCA) spurred additional backlash at the White House Correspondents' Dinner after it released a statement on Sunday night about comedian Michelle Wolf's performance.
Wolf, who is a writer for "The Daily Show With Trevor Noah," was this year's comedian at the dinner, and her performance got a mixed reception. Some reporters thought Wolf's jokes Saturday night didn't help with the perception they are liberal and out of touch with most of America. Others thought her jokes about White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders were too personal and harsh.
WHCA president Margaret Talev didn't apologize for Wolf's jokes but did express regret that her message wasn't unifying one.
"Last night's program was meant to offer a unifying message about our common commitment to a vigorous and free press while honoring civility, great reporting and scholarship winners, not to divide people," Talev said. "Unfortunately, the entertainer's monologue was not in the spirit of that mission."
The statement was met with its own backlash as some reporters thought it didn't stand up for Wolf's free speech and the First Amendment.
Uh... This statement is as cringeworthy as any joke ever told at a #WHCD.
The First Amendment is cool to celebrate and embrace, except when it’s not, I guess.
No wonder Americans don’t trust the media. https://t.co/cwAn87P7nJ
— Jacob Soboroff (@jacobsoboroff) April 30, 2018
Hopefully they can use their investigative skills to solve the mystery of why someone they hired as a comedian told jokes. https://t.co/xWc1k1oBZK
— Nate Silver (@NateSilver538) April 30, 2018
There really shouldn't be a #WHCD next year. This letter should be a dealbreaker for independent journalists. https://t.co/bt8V1ulran
— Joan Walsh (@joanwalsh) April 30, 2018
I'm appalled by the #WHCD's decision to add to the wrongful condemnations against Wolf. The @WHCA is now serving the intentionally deceitful, self-serving, & morally bankrupt agenda of the far-right who are pushing this stupid, dishonest narrative of their own victimization. https://t.co/QSApQiDXfn
— Mark Hughes (@markhughesfilms) April 30, 2018
President Donald Trump on Sunday night called the dinner an "embarrassment."
"The White House Correspondents' Dinner was a failure last year, but this year was an embarrassment to everyone associated with it. The filthy 'comedian' totally bombed (couldn't even deliver her lines-much like the Seth Meyers weak performance). Put Dinner to rest, or start over!" Trump tweeted.
Trump tweeted Monday morning that the White House Correspondents' Dinner is "DEAD."
"The White House Correspondents' Dinner is DEAD as we know it," Trump tweeted. "This was a total disaster and an embarrassment to our great Country and all that it stands for."
Trump, as he did last year, skipped the dinner this year and instead held a campaign-style rally in Michigan, touting his economic record and the current peace process with North Korea.
Published under: Media , President Trump