John Bolton is out as national security adviser, President Donald Trump said in a tweet Tuesday.
"I informed John Bolton last night that his services are no longer needed at the White House. I disagreed strongly with many of his suggestions, as did others in the Administration, and therefore ... I asked John for his resignation, which was given to me this morning. I thank John very much for his service. I will be naming a new National Security Advisor next week," President Trump tweeted.
President Trump appointed Bolton in March of 2018, and Bolton officially began in the role on April 9. Bolton succeeded H.R. McMaster in the position. In June of this year, Trump publicly backed Bolton after escalating tensions with Iran caused speculation that there was a foreign policy divide within the administration.
Recent reports indicated that there was increasing tension in the Trump administration over foreign policy issues. CNN reported that Bolton clashed with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and also feuded with Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney.
Last weekend, President Trump announced that peace talks between the Taliban leaders, Afghan president Ashraf Ghani, and representatives of the United States were called off. Prior to the announcement, the Washington Post reported that Bolton had been "sidelined" in the negotiations due to his opposition to diplomatic efforts in Afghanistan.
"It's messed up on so many levels that the national security adviser isn't involved, but trust is a real issue," a senior official told the Post at the time.
"I offered to resign last night and President Trump said, 'Let's talk about it tomorrow,'" Bolton tweeted shortly after the news broke.
I offered to resign last night and President Trump said, "Let's talk about it tomorrow."
— John Bolton (@AmbJohnBolton) September 10, 2019
President Trump said he would be appointing a new national security adviser next week.