Indiana Man Sentenced for Planning Terror Attack Using Explosives, Poisons

Getty Images

An Indiana man was sentenced on Monday to 15 years in prison for plotting to carry out a terror attack using explosives and poisons in the name of ISIS.

Marlonn Hicks, 31, of Crown Point, Ind., was inspired by the Pulse Nightclub attack in Florida and began plotting a terrorist attack in June 2016, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.

"The defendant plotted to conduct an attack on U.S. soil and, with today's sentence, he is being held accountable for his actions," said Assistant Attorney General John Demers. "I applaud the efforts of the agents and prosecutors to achieve this successful outcome. Their work will ensure that the actions of the defendant, inspired by evil, will serve only as a cautionary tale for other would-be terrorists."

David Rutz breaks down the most important news about the enemies of freedom, here and around the world, in this comprehensive morning newsletter.

Sign up here and stay informed!

Hicks quickly went from a vocal supporter of ISIS to planning an attack.  Nine days after the Orlando nightclub attack, Hicks discussed possible terror attacks with an FBI source who he believed was an ISIS supporter.

Hicks sent the source two manuals on how to manufacture and use explosives and poisons in an attack.

According to the DOJ, Hicks also discussed coordinating attacks to create "more of an audience" and discussed obtaining firearms. He indicated he wanted everyone to know the attacks were carried out in the name of ISIS.

Hicks made his motivation for the planned attacks clear. He indicated that since the FBI and similar government personnel "have shut the door now [on his ability to travel to ISIS controlled territory and fight there] I'm gonna open the door to hell for them."

"The online communications by Mr. Hicks drew swift attention from our agents, who had identified and monitored him early in his path to radicalization," said Special Agent in Charge Grant Mendenhall. "As this radicalization deepened, the FBI continued to monitor Mr. Hicks' activity and took action to mitigate any threats ensuring the public's safety."

Hicks's 15-year sentence will be followed by three years of supervised release.