Rep. Jerrod Nadler (D., N.Y.) told CNN’s Aliysn Camerota on Tuesday that the alleged "quid pro quo" conversation between the State Department and FBI regarding the classification of one of Hillary Clinton’s private emails may mean that the conduct of those involved "should be looked at."
"Now, does this mean that maybe the conduct of one of the people involved in the FBI or in the State Department should be looked at?" Nadler asked. "Maybe."
Camerota had quoted directly from one of the notes recently released by the FBI indicating that there was a "quid pro quo" conversation between senior State Department official Patrick Kennedy and an unnamed FBI member:
"[Redacted] indicated he had been contacted by PATRICK KENNEDY, Undersecretary of State, who had asked his assistance in altering the email’s classification in exchange for a ‘quid pro quo,’" the 302 states. "[Redacted] advised that in exchange for marking the email unclassified, STATE would reciprocate by allowing the FBI to place more Agents in countries where they are presently forbidden."
"That’s how the FBI characterized it," Camerota said.
Nadler said there are "conflicting accounts" on the issue because a New York Times report from Tuesday morning indicated the initial request came from the FBI rather than the State Department
"There was another FBI document according to the New York Times report this morning that said the request came from the FBI, not the State Department. They’re conflicting," Nadler said.
He then explained that even though there are conflicting accounts, it does not matter because no exchange ever happened.
"Be that as it may, this is an interagency discussion well after Hillary was no longer there," he said. "Nothing was done. No exchange. No quid pro quo. The document is classified as the FBI wanted. The FBI doesn’t get anything. Nothing happened."