Anthony Weiner confirmed that the New York Administration for Children’s Services has launched an investigation into his treatment of his toddler son amid fallout from his latest sexting scandal, the New York Times reported Thursday night.
The disgraced former Democratic congressman denied the probe earlier this week.
The New York Post reported this week that Weiner had sexted vulgar photos of himself over Twitter while his 4-year-old son was lying next to him in bed. On Wednesday, ACS confirmed to the Post it had dispatched an official to visit Weiner’s apartment. Weiner said the same day the visit never occurred.
Weiner reversed course Thursday, telling the Times the agency had sent a notification to his mother’s house regarding the investigation. Agency protocol requires a home visit within 48 hours of an offense to ensure that a potentially endangered child has food to eat and a place to sleep.
The Times reported:
It was unclear why the agency had sent a letter to his mother’s residence, rather than to him directly. He, too, seemed mystified: "Crazy if you ask me," he said, adding that he had called the agency to learn more.
Hours after the Post published the selfie of Weiner’s crotch while his son was wrapped in a green blanket to his left, his wife and top Hillary Clinton aide, Huma Abedin, announced the two were separating. The New York Daily News announced the same day it was dropping Weiner as a contributing columnist. Television channel NY1 also placed the former congressman on "indefinite leave" from the station.
The Fernand Amandi Radio Show announced Thursday that Weiner’s weekly segment "Weiner Wednesday" will be placed on "hiatus" until he receives mental health treatment.
Weiner resigned from Congress in 2011 in the wake of a separate sexting scandal and ended his 2013 New York City mayoral bid after reports of similar behavior surfaced.