More than 200 retired generals and admirals called on Congress to reject the Iranian nuclear deal in a full-page New York Times ad on Sunday, calling the agreement a threat to U.S. national security.
The ad, which was placed by the Warrior Legacy Foundation, followed a letter to congressional leaders from retired military officials last week warning of the national security risks of the Iran deal. After the letter was published last Wednesday, nearly 20 additional flag officers signed onto it.
"This agreement will enable Iran to become far more dangerous and render the Mideast still more unstable and introduce new threats to American interests as well as our allies," said the ad.
"In our professional opinion, far from being an alternative to war, the Join Comprehensive Plan of Action makes it likely that the war the Iranian regime has waged us since 1979 will continue, with far higher risks to our national security interests."
The ad included the names of the 214 military officials who signed the letter last week. The letter was spearheaded by Adm. Leon A. "Bud" Edney, U.S. Navy, Ret., who recruited many of the signatories.
"They are passionate about America’s national security," said Lt. Col. Samantha Nerove, U.S. Army, Ret., who helped with organizing the letter. "The letter last week, the NY Times ad on Sunday, and the upcoming Rally in D.C. on September 9th are just examples of their continued service. They've served to protect us, and know what it takes to keep this country safe."