George Stephanopoulos renewed his ABC contract last year for $105 million over seven years, according to the New York Post.
The Washington Free Beacon reported last week that Stephanopoulos donated $75,000 to the Clinton Foundation, and now his credibility and future at the network is being questioned.
Sources have said ABC News execs were blindsided by Stephanopoulos’ largesse, and one TV insider noted Monday that "ABC really has all their money on Stephanopoulos."
"ABC was desperate to lock him down after Josh Elliott left," the source said.
"But network execs didn’t announce the figure because they didn’t want George to get the kind of backlash that Matt Lauer got over his huge NBC contract," which pays him $20 million a year to host the "Today" show.
"If [Stephanopoulos] stumbles, so does the network," the source added.
When Stephanopoulos signed his contract extension in April 2014, an ABC spokesman said, "George is vital to the success of the news division and will continue to be a leader here at ABC News. We expect him to remain with us for many, many years."