Russia on Tuesday test-fired two submarine-launched ballistic missiles, one of which self-destructed during flight, Moscow’s defense ministry said.
Russia’s Borei-class ballistic missile submarine, called the Yuriy Dolgorukiy, test-fired two RSM-56 Bulava submarine-launched ballistic missiles while submerged in the White Sea, according to a statement from the defense ministry carried by Russian news outlets.
"Warheads from the first missile have completed the full flight cycle, and successfully destroyed designated targets [located at the Kura testing range on the Kamchatka peninsula]," the ministry said in a statement reported by Sputnik News.
The ministry further stated that the second missile’s self-destruction followed completion of the first stage of the flight. The launch, conducted on Tuesday, was hailed as a success by the ministry and state news outlets.
News of the latest launch comes nearly one year after Russia test-launched two Bulava missiles from a nuclear-powered submarine, the Vladimir Monomakh, in mid-November of last year. The defense ministry posted video of the launch to social media.
#Видео #Впервые Залповый ракетный пуск двух МБР "Булава" с борта АПРК "Владимир Мономах" pic.twitter.com/htjOpZGfQp
— Минобороны России (@mod_russia) November 14, 2015