Turkey has not received adequate support from the U.S. military over the past month and a half in its offensive to drive the Islamic State out of the Syrian town of al-Bab, President Tayyip Erdogan's spokesman said Thursday.
Ibrahim Kalin told broadcaster Kanal 24 that Turkish officials had notified the U.S. government of their concerns. Kalin said the country was optimistic President-elect Donald Trump would be more receptive to Turkey's "sensitivities," Reuters reported.
Recent Stories in National Security
Turkey ramped up its assault on al-Bab in the days following the Istanbul nightclub attack claimed by ISIS that killed 39 people. Erdogan said Thursday the operation would be "finished soon."
European intelligence officials believe last year's ISIS-led terrorist attacks in Paris, Brussels, Nice, and Berlin were planned and directed from al-Bab, where the terrorist group maintains its external operations, according to the Guardian.