Trump Will Not Attend 2018 White House Correspondents’ Dinner

Donald Trump
Getty Images

President Donald Trump will continue to buck custom and not attend the 2018 White House Correspondents' Dinner, according to the White House Correspondents' Association.

The association's president, Margaret Talev, released a statement on Twitter regarding the White House's plans.

"The White House has informed us that the president does not plan to participate in this year's dinner but that he will actively encourage members of the executive branch to attend and join us as we celebrate the First Amendment," the statement said.

Talev also said White House press secretary Sarah Sanders will represent the administration at the April 28 dinner.

Trump, who has been at odds with the press frequently, also declined to attend in 2017. The decision made him the first president to skip the event in decades, and he instead held a rally in Pennsylvania.

Hasan Minhaj performed at the 2017 event, a comedian who had referred to Trump as "white ISIS."

The featured comedian for this year's dinner is Michelle Wolf.

"I'm delighted to announce ‘Nice Lady’ Michelle Wolf as our featured entertainer this year," Talev said. "Our dinner honors the First Amendment and strong, independent journalism. Her embrace of these values and her truth-to-power style make her a great friend to the WHCA. Her Pennsylvania roots, stints on Wall Street and in science and self-made, feminist edge make her the right voice now."

In now deleted tweets, the comedienne previously called Trump the "dumbest president ever" and said First Lady Melania Trump is as helpful to women "about as much as an empty box of tampons."