Hillary Clinton is embroiled in a scandal concerning her exclusive use of a private email server as Secretary of State, and the possible mishandling of classified information. Here are five sentences that explain everything you need to know.
1) Hillary Clinton on March 10, 2015:
"I did not email any classified material to anyone on my email."
2) Andrea Williams, spokeswoman for the intelligence community inspector general, on July 24, 2015:
"[The emails] were classified when they were sent and are classified now."
3) Hillary Clinton on July 25, 2015:
"I am confident that I never sent nor received any information that was classified at the time it was sent and received."
4) Hillary Clinton spokesman Nick Merrill on August 4, 2015:
"[Clinton] did not send nor receive any emails that were marked classified at the time."
5) Intelligence community inspector general I. Charles McCullough in a letter to Senator Chuck Grassley on August 11, 2015:
"These emails … have been properly marked by IC classification officials, and include information classified up to ‘TOP SECRET.'"
So, in a matter of months, we've gone from "I did not email classified information" to revelations that "top secret" information was passed over a private, non-government server.