Effective Date: 6/18/2013
Please review these Terms carefully before using the Services. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TERMS CONTAIN A BINDING ARBITRATION CLAUSE AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER. THIS AFFECTS YOUR RIGHTS WITH RESPECT TO RESOLVING DISPUTES WITH THE CENTER. PLEASE READ THEM.
II. Prohibited Conduct
You may not access or use, or attempt to access or use, the Services to take any action that could harm us or any third party, interfere with the operation of the Services, or use the Services in a manner that violates any laws. For example, and without limitation, you may not:
- engage in unauthorized spidering, “scraping,” or harvesting of content or personal information, or use any other unauthorized automated means to compile information;
- take any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our network or infrastructure;
- use any device, software, or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Service or any activity conducted on the Services or attempt to probe, scan, test the vulnerability of, or breach the security of any system or network;
- attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble, or reverse-engineer any of the software comprising or in any way making up a part of the Service;
- engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits any person from using or enjoying the Services, or that, in our sole judgment, exposes us or any of our users, affiliates, or any other third party to any liability, damages, or detriment of any type.
Violations of system or network security may result in civil or criminal liability. We may investigate and work with law enforcement authorities to prosecute users who violate the Terms. We may suspend or terminate your access to the Services for any or no reason at any time without notice.
The Services are protected under the copyright laws of the United States and other countries. All copyrights in the Services are owned by us or our third-party licensors to the full extent permitted under the United States Copyright Act and all international copyright laws. You may not publish, reproduce, distribute, display, perform, edit, adapt, modify, or otherwise exploit any part of the Services without our written consent.
IV. Links To Third-Party Content
The Services may contain links to third-party content. We do not control, endorse, sponsor, recommend, or otherwise accept responsibility for such content. Use of any linked third-party content is at the user’s own risk.
V. Disclaimer of Warranties; Limitation of Liability
Your use of the Services is at your own risk. The Services are provided “as is” without warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including without limitation warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, or other violation of rights. We do not warrant the adequacy, currency, accuracy, likely results, or completeness of the Services or any third-party sites linked to or from the Services, or that the functions provided will be uninterrupted, virus, or error-free. We expressly disclaim any liability for any errors or omissions in the content included in the Services or any third-party sites linked to or from the Services. some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so some of the above exclusions may not apply to you.
In no event will we, or our subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents, and assigns be liable for any direct or indirect, special, incidental, consequential or punitive damages, lost profits, or other damages whatsoever arising in connection with the use of the Services, any interruption in availability of the Services, delay in operation or transmission, computer virus, loss of data, or use, misuse, reliance, review, manipulation, or other utilization in any manner whatsoever of the Services or the data collected through the Services, even if one or more of them has been advised of the possibility of such damages or loss. Any claim arising out of or connected with the Services will be limited to the greater of $100 or the amount that you paid to access the Services.
You agree to indemnify, defend and hold us and our subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents and assigns harmless from and against any and all loss, costs, expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and expenses), claims, damages and liabilities related to or associated with your use of the Services and any alleged violation by you of these Terms. We reserve the right to assume the exclusive defense of any claim for which We are entitled to indemnification under this section. In such event, you shall provide us with such cooperation as we reasonably request.
VII. DISPUTES, ARBITRATION, AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER
Any dispute arising out of or relating to the Services (“Dispute”) will be resolved according to the following procedures:
- Notice of Dispute. In the event of a Dispute, you or the Center must give the other a Notice of Dispute, which is a written statement that sets forth the name, address, and contact information of the party giving it, the facts giving rise to the Dispute, and a proposed solution. You must send any Notice of Dispute by U.S. Mail to the Center for American Freedom at 1600 K Street NW, STE 200, Washington, DC 20006. The Center will send any Notice of Dispute to you by U.S. Mail to your address if we have it, or otherwise to your email address. You and the Center will attempt to resolve any Dispute through informal negotiation within sixty (60) days from the date the Notice of Dispute is sent. After sixty (60) days, you or the Center may commence arbitration, as described in this section.
- Small claims court. You may also choose to litigate any Dispute in small claims court in the District of Columbia or in your own county of residence, if the Dispute meets all the requirements to be heard in small claims court. You may litigate in small claims court whether or not you negotiated with the Center informally first.
- Binding Arbitration. If you and the Center do not resolve any Dispute by informal negotiation or in small claims court, any other effort to resolve the Dispute will be conducted exclusively by binding arbitration as described in this section. You are giving up the right to litigate (or participate in as a party or class member) all Disputes in court before a judge or jury. Instead, all Disputes will be resolved before a neutral arbitrator, whose decision will be final except for a limited right of appeal under the Federal Arbitration Act. Any court with jurisdiction over the parties may enforce the arbitrator’s award.
- Class Action Waiver. Any proceedings to resolve or litigate any dispute in any forum will be conducted solely on an individual basis. Neither you nor the Center will seek to have any dispute heard as a class action or in any other proceeding in which either party acts or proposes to act in a representative capacity. No arbitration or proceeding will be combined with another without the prior written consent of all parties to all affected arbitrations or proceedings.
- Arbitration Procedures. Any arbitration will be conducted by JAMS, Inc, in accordance with the JAMS Comprehensive Arbitration Rules and Procedures (“JAMS Rules”). You agree to commence arbitration only in your county of residence or in the District of Columbia. The Center agrees to commence arbitration only in your county of residence. In a dispute involving $10,000 or less, any hearing will be telephonic unless the arbitrator finds good cause to hold an in-person hearing instead. The arbitrator may award the same damages to you individually as a court could. The arbitrator may award declaratory or injunctive relief only to you individually, and only to the extent required to satisfy your individual claim.
- Arbitration Fees. For disputes involving $75,000 or less, the Center will reimburse your filing fees and pay the JAMS and the arbitrators fees and expenses. For disputes involving more than $75,000, the JAMS Rules will govern payment of all filing fees and expenses.
- Claims or disputes must be filed within one year. To the extent permitted by law, any claim or dispute under this agreement must be filed within one year in small claims court, or in an arbitration proceeding. The one-year period begins when the claim or Notice of Dispute first could be filed. If a claim or dispute isn’t filed within one year, it is permanently barred.
- Severability. If any provision of this section (“Disputes, Arbitration, and Class Waiver”) is found to be illegal or unenforceable, that provision will be severed, with the remainder of section remaining in full force and effect.
VII. Choice of Law and Forum
The Services are intended for use by residents of the United States. We do not intentionally provide access to the Services to individuals located outside the United States. These Terms will be governed by the laws of the District of Columbia without regard to its conflict of law provisions. With respect to any Disputes not subject to the dispute resolution procedures set forth above, you and the Center for American Freedom agree to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located within the District of Columbia.
These Terms constitute the entire agreement between you and us, superseding any prior or contemporaneous communications and proposals (whether oral, written or electronic) between you and us. In the event any provision of these Terms is held unenforceable, it will not affect the validity or enforceability of the remaining provisions and will be replaced by an enforceable provision that comes closest to the intention underlying the unenforceable provision. You agree that no joint venture, partnership, employment, or agency relationship exists between you and us as a result of these Terms or your access to and use of the Services.
Our failure to enforce any provisions of these Terms or respond to a violation by any party does not waive our right to subsequently enforce any terms or conditions of the Terms or respond to any violations. Nothing contained in these Terms is in derogation of our right to comply with governmental, court, and law enforcement requests or requirements relating to your use of the Services or information provided to or gathered by us with respect to such use.