President Donald Trump on Monday put the responsibility on Cuba for the sonic-noise induced injuries that U.S. embassy staff in Havana suffered in the past year.
A reporter asked Trump about White House Chief of Staff John Kelly's remarks that Cuba could have stopped the attacks. Trump affirmed what Kelly said, and went on to say Cuba was responsible for the "very unusual attack."
"General Kelly said just last week that you believe that Cuba could stop the attacks against Americans," a reporter said. "Do you believe that?"
"I do," Trump answered.
"Do you believe Cuba is responsible?" the reporter asked.
"I do believe Cuba is responsible," Trump replied. "I do believe that, and it's a very unusual attack as you know, but I do believe Cuba is responsible."
The attacks reportedly began shortly after Trump's election, and 22 Americans have now been harmed, according to State Department. As a result, the State Department removed a significant portion of the diplomatic and intelligence officials from Cuba, and has suspended visa applications from the communist country.
Sen. Marco Rubio (R., Fla.) has called for "oversight hearings" to investigate the State Department's handling of the matter.