U.S. Navy officials confirmed that no injuries had been reported after the Naval Medical Center San Diego said that an active shooter had been reported on its grounds Tuesday.
The Navy also said that no gunman had been found after sweeping the California military hospital, according to NBC Los Angeles.
Earlier, the hospital notified individuals on its Facebook page of the report of the shooter in building 26, advising occupants to “run, hide, or fight.”
“An active shooter has just been reported in building #26 at Naval Medical Center San Diego. All occupants are advised to run, hide or fight,” a post on the center’s Facebook page read. “All non-emergency response personnel are asked to stay away from the compound, located at 34800 Bob Wilson Drive, San Diego, CA 92134.”
The notification was posted at about 8 a.m. local time.
The Navy said in a statement that a single witness reported hearing three shots fired around 8 a.m. local time in the basement of building 26. First responders and Navy working dog units were on the scene to clear the building. The medical center was also placed on lockdown.
The San Diego Police Department confirmed that officials at the hospital had reported shots fired, according to NBC Los Angeles. Patrol cars from various law enforcement agencies, including a SWAT truck, were seen approaching the scene about a half hour after the message was posted.
According to military officials, Naval Base Point Loma, about 20 minutes from the hospital by car, was placed on lockdown.
The building where shots were reported fired contains offices, barracks for wounded sailors and Marines, and a gym, CBS Los Angeles reported.
This post will be updated as further information becomes available.